5 Royal Crescent, Glasgow G3 7SL Telephone: 0141 331 6650 SMS: 07860018421

Alterations to Your Property

Alterations to Your Property

Latest News

  • Office Closure 23rd - 28th May – Read More
  • Office Closure - 6th May – Read More
  • Spring 2024 Newsletter & Colouring Competition – Read More
  • Easter Weekend Office Closure – Read More

You have the right to carry out some alterations and improvements to your home e.g. putting down laminate flooring, but you must get our written permission first. We will generally allow you to make the alteration and will clarify any relevant conditions when we respond to your request.

Conditions may include the requirement to post inspect the works or that you appointment an appropriately qualified person to do it. You may be asked to remove any home improvements that cause disturbance to your neighbours, including incorrectly fitted laminate flooring.

We will not generally allow:

  • Structural work , Artexing of walls and ceilings, Installing non-white bathroom suites. 
  • Alterations to windows and/or doors, or installation of Satellite dishes.  

We will initially respond to written requests to advise we have received and then a Property Services Officer will review and provide a decision within one month of receipt of your request. If there are no issues with the request it will generally be approved. 

If you would like to carry out alterations to your home please put this in writing to for the attention of the Property Services Team. Alternatively, email us at 

Compensation for Improvements

Some alterations, such as carrying out a full kitchen or bathroom replacement, at your own expense, may mean that you would be due some compensation for improvements at the end of your tenancy.  When the tenancy ends, we may make a payment to you, or those who have legally succeeded to your tenancy for property improvement work such as installing a shower that you have done with our permission.  

The amount of compensation will vary (based on a formula provided by the Scottish Government) that takes account of the remaining life of the item, and the rent we can collect from the new tenant as a result of the improvement. We will not pay compensation for home improvements for which you did not have our written permission for. We will not consider retrospective (backdated) applications for permission.

Pay your rent
Online Tenant Account
Emergency Numbers
Compaints and Comments
Report a Repair
Fire Safety
Scottish Housing Regulator
Apply for a house

Glasgow West Housing Association
5 Royal Crescent
G3 7SL

CALL: 0141 331 6650
Repairs: 0141 331 6652
Tenancy: 0141 331 6651

Phone: 0141 331 6650
Repairs: 0141 331 6652
Tenancy: 0141 331 6651

Fax: 0141 331 6679
SMS: 07860018421
Office Hours & Public Holidays
Find Us on the map


Terms & Conditions

Glasgow West Housing Association ©
All Rights Reserved | Admin Only

Registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator HEP 126. Registered under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act (2014): 1955 RS.
Registered as a Scottish Charity SC001667.